To access dApps on the Filecoin Virtual Machine (FVM), you need FIL in a 0x/f410 wallet address. However, Ledger Live has not yet been updated to support the direct transfer of FIL to 0x/f410 addresses.
To move FIL from a Ledger wallet to Metamask follow the steps below.
- Log in to Metamask and Switch from the [Ethereum — Mainnet] to the [Filecoin — Mainnet]. Copy your 0x address.
- Open Ledger Live. Click [Send] and select your Filecoin account to debit. Then paste your Metamask 0x address. As you can see, Ledger Live does not yet support 0x addresses for FIL. It displays an error that reads, “This is not a valid address.”
- You can use Glif.io to send FIL from your Ledger directly to Metamask (0x). Visit Glif.io and click [Connect Wallet].
- Connect your Ledger device via USB and select Ledger [Filecoin]. Make sure you have closed Ledger Live to avoid device access conflicts.
5. Allow glif.io to connect with your device.
- Your Ledger wallet and FIL balance should now be displayed. Click [Send FIL] to transfer from your Ledger to Metamask.
7. Paste your Metamask (0x) address into the recipient field. Glif.io recognizes this 0x address as a valid FIL wallet address and also shows the corresponding f410 address.
- Click [Send] and approve the transaction on your Ledger device. Your funds should be available in Metamask after around two minutes. You can check that your funds have arrived by searching for the destination address in a block explorer like Filfox.